Monday, December 04, 2017

LIVE AND LET DIE

James Bond: "My name is--" Mr. Big: "Names are for tombstones, baby! [to his henchmen] Take him out and ice him!"--Live and Let Die

Saturday afternoon Dawna and I saw Live and Let Die.  It's the first of Roger Moore's James Bond movies, with a big motorboat chase, Jane Seymour reading tarot cards (Dawna's done that, and says it can get scary!) and Geoffrey Holder doing a voodoo dance.  It's all pretty goofy, of course.  Moore never had Sean Connery's style--though in all fairness, who does?

Friday I had lunch with John S. and went to see the train-set screwball comedy 20th Century again at a Robarts Library screening. Unfortunately, I ended up leaving early because I was sleepy.  Something about the sound of a moving train lulls me, like Arctic scenery. (When I saw the Inuit movie The Journal of Knud Rasmussen that made me sleepy too.)

I renewed my library card and borrowed the book Russian History:  A Very Short Introduction.  Oxford University Press has a whole series of those Very Short Introduction books!

On the latest season of Damages, Ryan Philippe is playing a Julian Assange type.  He's actually a pretty interesting actor, who's come a way since Cruel Intentions, which opened with him driving a car on the freeway. (That's one of the tritest movie-opening cliches!)

No comments: