Friday, December 01, 2017

THE MAN WHO INVENTED CHRISTMAS

Scrooge: "I thought this was a ghost story, not a fairy tale!"--The Man Who Invented Christmas

Tonight I saw The Man Who Invented Christmas at Canada Square.  I enjoyed this movie about Charles Dickens writing A Christmas Carol:  like the original story, it's whimsical but ultimately moving.  Dan Stevens is a suitably theatrical Dickens, and there are several fine actors. (The part of the story that really gets to me is Scrooge being shown his schoolboy self choosing books over friends!)

I've decided to make Russia the subject of January's History Meetup, what with the centenary of the October Revolution (which was actually in our November, but Russia still went by the Julian calendar). I chose a short history for background reading, but when I tried to borrow a copy it turned out that it's time to renew my library card!

We finished Godless, which ended with the obligatory gun battle. That was an odd scene where the women were standing on the bar and singing about sex!  Now we've started the fifth season of Damages.

I got possessed to start translating some of those Canadian short stories I was just reading into foreign languages. (I was going to lend the book to John S., but no doubt he can wait...)

No comments: