Sunday, December 31, 2017

Long John Silver

"'I can't do without you,' he said.  Oh yes you can, I wanted to protest.  It will be inconvenient, but you can.  You changed your newspaper once and you can get used to it"--The End of the Affair

Felix: "Tsk, tsk, tsk!" Oscar: "You'll wear out the roof of your mouth doing that!"--The Odd Couple

"These boys are mature--they're seniors!"--One Day at a Time

Long John Silver: "There be fifty good years left in me!... Well, thirty."

There's always something interesting on YouTube.  The other day Paul on Language Focus posted a video about kanji--that's the words in Japanese writing that are taken directly from the Chinese script. And then I found old episodes of The Adventures of Long John Silver.

Long John Silver was a '50s syndicated TV series filmed in Australia (before Australians had TV!), with Robert Newton doing his classic Treasure Island anti-hero.  I'd seen a bit of it when I was young and recognized the opening credits with Newton waving his sword and going "Yaar!" Moira remembers being terrified by it.

Yesterday I went to Staples and bought a new attachment to play DVDs on my computer. (The old one went bust.)

Dawna, Debi and I saw some sitcoms this afternoon.  First we saw two episodes of The Odd Couple, then three of One Day at a Time, which Mother used to like.  Remarkably, both shows had a bit where a character denied feeling jealousy but his/her body language told a different story! (Some sitcom devices are especially basic.)

No comments: