Monday, December 25, 2017

Feliz Natal

"I thought, I shall not be breaking my promise if accidentally on the Common I run into Maurice, and so I went out after breakfast and again after lunch and again in the early evening, walking about and never seeing him"--The End of the Affair

Frank (entering the hospital tent): "I'm here to relieve you." Hawkeye: "You do resemble an enema"--M*A*S*H

Earthling: "Ciao." Mork: "Pekinese!"

Saturday afternoon Dawna and I saw some Christmas-themed videos.  Magoo's Christmas Carol had predictably cheap animation but some nice songs, unlike the Albert Finney musical. (Which I haven't seen, but I heard that "Thank you very very very much!" was actually the best song in it!) There was also a Mork & Mindy episode with an appearance by Morgan Fairchild, and an episode of The Red Skelton Show where George Appleby got hypnotized at a Christmas party to think he was drunk when he got patted on the shoulder, and sober up when he heard the word "wife." I loved Red Skelton when I was young!

And we also saw a Christmas episode of M*A*S*H, built around Hawkeye writing a letter to his father.  If I were a M*A*S*H character, I think I'd be Henry the hapless commander.  In one scene Hawkeye grabbed Hot Lips and kissed her for about thirty seconds, and she was turned on! (That's the sort of thing male writers come up with.) I've always found Alan Alda a bit annoying.

We finished the second season of The Crown.  The episode where bloody-minded Prince Philip insisted on sending Prince Charles to Gordonstoun was a little much.

I'm still trying to reduce my email backlog.  I got it below 2000 the other day!

And I'm still having unusual dreams. One night I dreamed of being in an airport about to take a flight, and shopping for a camera in a downstairs shopping concourse.  Then the other night I dreamed of a thriller movie in the M. Night Shyamalan style involving machines rising up to kill people!

No comments: