Friday, January 05, 2018

History Discussion Group

"You're a devil, God, tempting us to leap.  But I don't want Your peace and I don't want Your love....  With Your great schemes You ruin our happiness like a harvester ruins a mouse's nest:  I hate You, God, I hate You as though you existed"--The End of the Affair

Last night I went to a Cultural Exchange Meetup karaoke. Only a few people showed up:  those cold nights make a lot of no-shows!  But I got in three songs, including Gerry and the Pacemakers' "It's Gonna Be Alright." (Dusty does seem to have every song you could imagine...)

Today I finished The End of the Affair.  It felt very real.

I got The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Middle Ages for the next History Meetup at the Dufferin-St. Clair library. (But for some reason I thought it was at the Bloor-Gladstone and went there first!)

Tonight was this month's History Meetup, and the subject was Russia.  I was afraid that the deep freeze would keep most people away, but half a dozen people turned out.  And it was one of our liveliest discussions, going on for over three hours!

No comments: