Tuesday, January 16, 2018

THE LAST JEDI

"Where are you from?" "Nowhere." "No-one's from nowhere." "Jakko." "OK, that's pretty close to nowhere"--The Last Jedi

Tonight I saw The Last Jedi at the Yonge & Eglinton (Would have seen it yesterday afternoon but the TTC was running too slowly.) What can I say?  It was as I expected, all pretty competent but somehow familiar--that sort of thing makes me feel old.  Laura Dern's one of my favorite actresses, but this is one of her lesser roles.  I recognized Benicio Del Toro as the shifty codebreaker.  Because of the tunnel construction, I had to take a snowy ten-minute detour to cross Eglinton Avenue.

Selia and Bev couldn't make the memoir group this afternoon, so I took charge.  There were just eight people, though two were new, so we managed to get through three subjects instead of two!

I've run out of Cipralex so my dreams have been getting wild.  The night before last I dreamed of being in a big family and getting in trouble for quarrelling with some older people, then some people came along with a shovel to dig up human bones, and I woke from the nightmare.  Then I went back to sleep and dreamed of watching a movie in the Cinesphere which was sort of a continuation, about a guy fleeing a powerful household to empty land and to San Francisco train tracks.  Then I tried to leave the Cinesphere but ended up in a maze leading to places like a racing arena.

Last night I dreamed of being in a library or bookstore near Port Elgin, New Brunswick, where all the books seemed to be small paperback series like the Penguin 60s twenty years ago.

No comments: