Thursday, January 18, 2018

A too busy week


Medic: "Chevotarevich, is that a Russian name?" Christopher Walken: "No, it's an American name"--The Deer Hunter 

Yesterday I had a lunch date with Ann at Bar Verde in Nordstrom's at the Eaton Centre.  I was a bit late because the TTC was slow. (I usually arrive ahead of her!) We talked about her magazine, which combines articles by me and by Miriam, and I agreed to do an edit of the first draft. That night I wrote a new article for her about my experience with comic books.

I packed too much into this week.  Besides meeting Ann yesterday and Dr. Hassan tomorrow, I also had a lunch date with Pam today.  I was late again, not because of the TTC but because of sheer carelessness:  I looked at the clock and suddenly noticed I was already ten minutes late!  I rushed there but she'd already left.

What a terrible feeling when you're late, you hurry there but you weren't fast enough!  It's like when you go downstairs to answer the phone and they hang up the millisecond before you get to it.  I remember a few years back when I was in this Chinese girl's Meetup group and RSVPed for a dinner event (we were the only two), but I'd somehow convinced myself it was an hour later than it really was and I got there half an hour late.  It turned out that she'd used her cell phone and already removed me from the group! (When we parted, she had the nerve to wish me "all the best.") If anyone asks me for advice about organizing Meetup groups, one thing I'll say is "Don't remove members until you get home."

Since I ran out of Cipralex last week, my emotions have been getting a bit rawer:  I've been feeling intense anger at times, and also flightiness, as today's carelessness shows.  But it has its good side:  I'm suddenly feeling more inspirations about things to write about here! We'll see how long I can go back to daily posts for my main blog, like I did in its first year five years ago.  And I've stopped napping in the daytime.

Isn't that a cute video at the top?  If I'm ever on the BBC radio show Desert Island Discs, "China Doll" will be one of my choices!

No comments: