Monday, March 17, 2014

Acting class

Saturday I had another acting class.  For the first time I performed a monologue that I found at a website called "Ace Your Audition." It's the poem "George Gray" from Edgar Lee Masters' Spoon River Anthology, which is a bunch of poems of dead people telling their story.  George Gray's story is how he was always afraid to be adventurous while he was alive and he gets to regret it now.  When I performed it the first time Nancy asked me to do it again slower and I said, "Ghosts aren't in a hurry." For some reason they found that really funny.

Now I'm working on memorizing the poem for future classes.  I've also been working on memorizing the Slaves' Chorus from Nabucco for the Gala concert this Thursday, and I've just about completed that task.  The Drinking Song from La Traviata was easy to memorize since I've done it before.

Speaking of acting, on Sunday night I saw the documentary Liv & Ingmar at the Bloor.  It has Liv Ullmann telling the story of her personal and professional relationship with Ingmar Bergman. (Much of the narration came from her autobiography Changes.) Happily, they had a lot of clips from the movies they made together:  LU and Max Von Sydow were two iconic faces.  It looks like Bergman drew on his personal dramas for much of his cinematic ones.

No comments: