Tuesday, March 11, 2014

GRAVITY

I saw Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity last night.  I assumed it was at the Revue because I'd got a pamphlet the day before from the building of my acting class and it showed the movie scheduled for then.  But it turned out not to be showing there, and I assumed I'd got a February schedule instead of March.  But it turned out I had a schedule for the Royal instead of the Revue.

Anyhow, I went and saw it at the Yonge & Dundas instead.  I took the subway south to St. Patrick station and a streetcar east from there, because the line was closed for servicing around Dundas station.  On the way there I was so caught up in reading The Innocents Abroad--he's now in Italy--that I missed my stop and had to get off and Osgoode station and go back north.  Then I missed the stop a second time and had to get off at Queens Park and go south again! (Third time was the charm.) I barely made the movie in time, but who wants to sit and wait?

The movie was pretty gripping in a middlebrow way, not unlike Robert Redford's All Is Lost. (It wasn't completely above cheesiness:  there was one shot of a spaceman's corpse next to a photo of him with his family!) I don't care for 3-D, not because it makes movies worse but because it rarely makes them better.  But I'll admit that this sort of movie is the right place for it.  Sandra Bullock looked a bit like Beatrice--especially her hair--and I mentioned this to the latter at this evening's choir practice.  That pleased her:  she likes SB.

No comments: