Sunday, March 09, 2014

The Auld Sod

Today was ROLT's March event.  The Auld Sod was focused on Irish writing.  There were six people there, including a couple promoting a genealogy-themed Limerick tour in August.  (Too bad Moira was at Club Med, and Jane couldn't make it either.)

I started off by singing "Danny Boy" a capella. (They said I had a nice voice.) I also read Michael McLaverty's "The Wild Duck's Nest" and "A Painful Case" from James Joyce's The Dubliners.  I concluded by reading the last couple of pages from "The Dead," also from The Dubliners.  One of us read a passage from Joyce's Ulysses that ended with "Yes I said yes I will yes," and there were also a couple of William Butler Yeats poems and a passage from an early chapter in Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray.  And a couple of people recited poems they had written.  I asked them whether they'd rather do science fiction or humor in April, and they preferred science fiction.

Remember when I talked about The Matrix last week?  There was a detail I intended to mention, but forgot. (I could have edited the post to add it, but why bother?) When Roger Ebert was reviewing the third Matrix movie on his TV show, he said it left him feeling sated.  Well, I felt sated after the first one!  I have yet to see either of the sequels.

No comments: