Tuesday, March 04, 2014

THE INNOCENTS ABROAD

"All was bustle and confusion. (I have seen that remark before, somewhere.)"--The Innocents Abroad

Yesterday I started Mark Twain's first book, The Innocents Abroad.  It's an account of a tour he took of the Mediterranean world that he took with some high-class Americans in the late 1860s, long before regular cruise ships.  It's really, really funny.

I picked up the book after the memoir slam.  (The subjects were "Going to a play" and "August," and I found more to write about than the previous week, when the subjects were "Hangups" and "Unusual neighbours.") I'd finished The Pioneers and wanted something to read while I was on my way to get the book, so I borrowed from the Lillian Smith library a Loyola Press coffee-table book for children about saints.  Then I got The Innocents Abroad at the Deer Park library.  I also paid a forty-cent fine:  The Pioneers was due last Thursday so I renewed it, but I got around to it a day late.

Before going home, I also went to the Northern District library and returned The Pioneers directly.  I could have returned it at any branch, of course, but I preferred to save the library people the trouble of transporting it back to Northern District.  And I saved the energy that transportation would have taken:  maybe little things like that will save us from climate change.  Or maybe they won't.

No comments: