Monday, May 05, 2014

Busy weekend!

Friday night I went on one of the Jane's Walks.  It started at 10:00 in the evening at Christie station, and we went south to Kensington Market, then east to the Grange Park, then south to the theatre district.  The guide was Nicholas, whom I'd met on a few Meetup events. (He was the one who remembered me, of course.) I thought of going on a Jane's Walk on Saturday morning because the St. Paul's NDP was making an event of it, but I wasn't up to it.

Saturday afternoon was the acting class.  We were learning about objectives, so Sharon and I did an exchange where I was resisting her demands for a raise. (I said things like "You don't need more money--you're a single woman!") I told Nancy I was interested in learning a comic monologue, which she doesn't usually recommend for beginners, but she thinks I'm ready!  Next door they were having auditions for singers in a musical, which was rather distracting.

Saturday evening I went to a Philosophy Dinner Meetup at the Bishop and Belcher.  The subject was democracy and its limitations, and I knew it would be an interesting discussion because Pam Chedore was coming.  I had the chicken korma.

Later that evening I went to the Karaoke Meetup at Kramer's.  Jonah used to bring us to the Gladstone Hotel karaoke every month, which I didn't care for because it was so popular you'd have a huge wait between songs, and we also had to get there early because of our reservation.  But karaoke has ended there, so now he's going to Kramer's instead, which has a huge song selection!  I felt tired, so I only sang one song, the Moody Blues' "Ride My Seesaw."

Sunday afternoon I went on a Walks with Profs Meetup.  We met at Victoria Park station then walked north on Kingston Road.  On the way we stopped at Tim Horton's, where I had a late lunch of chili.  Olga had actually run on part of the marathon that morning!  Granted that she quit early, but she still had enough energy left for walking.  Again I quit while I was ahead, and grabbed a bus when we got to St. Clair Avenue.

Sunday evening I saw the Hot Docs Film Festival documentary Khrushchev Does America, about the Soviet leader's 1959 visit, at the Lightbox.  It was really funny:  it isn't often you get a character like that as a world leader. (Boris Yeltsin was a character too, of course.) On the way out I met Gerald Hannon and told him I'd be in the opera again next year.

No comments: