Sunday, May 18, 2014

Mock auditions

At today's acting class we did mock auditions.  We all brought resumes and head shots.  My resume was pretty makeshift, though Nancy was amused that I included "Classes under Nancy Morrison." Some of it came out in red or blue ink, which was completely unintentional but rather attention-grabbing.  My head shot wasn't of the best quality, because our printer had ink problems. (I used the same image I use on websites like Meetup and Facebook, and here.) We were emailed a short commercial spiel on Thursday and expected to memorize it, but I really wasn't up to that.  Commercials aren't my future.

Nancy gave us a long talk all about the audition process.  Sometimes actors lose their nerve and don't show up for an audition, which is about the worst thing you can do.  When our time was up she finished the talk at the Victory Cafe, in the same room where I have the ROLT Meetup events!

She was impressed when I told her about my Scots version of "George Gray."  I've found a website at woohoo.co.uk where you can enter regular English and get it translated into accents like Scots and Irish and Jamaican. (It turns out that "marble" is "bool" in Scots, and "the sea" is "the brine.") Besides that dialect, I've now written French, Chinese and Japanese translations of the poem--blank verse is less difficult to translate--and ought to post them all on my translations blog.

Thursday night I went on Betty Anne's art walk.  This month it was on Dundas Street west of Ossington Avenue, in the Portuguese area.  One place we went to was a used bookstore called The Monkey's Paw, which has a vending machine where you put in two dollars and get a random book! (We were a big crowd, and I'll visit it again when there's more room.) We also saw an exhibit of paintings by Mitsuo Kimura, who has a really original look.  Afterward I tried to make the St. Paul's NDP nomination meeting, but it was over by the time I got there.

Yesterday Puitak and Gordon came over for dinner, to celebrate Moira's birthday.  I made fettucine alfredo (Moira would have preferred Indian food, but was afraid they wouldn't like it), and Moira said it was even better than usual:  maybe that's because we'd let it cool for five or ten minutes.  I showed Puitak my Chinese translation of "George Gray" and she liked it overall, but didn't care for my using "yanjiu" for "study":  that suggests "research."  I've decided "guancha" would be better, as it suggests "examine." Translation is my life!

No comments: