Monday, May 26, 2014

Musical weekend

This weekend was Open Doors, but for a change I didn't bother visiting anything.  My time was pretty well spoken for.

Saturday afternoon I saw the Met production of Massenet's Werther (from the Goethe story) at the Yonge & Eglinton, starring Jonas Kauffman and Sophie Koch. (Sophie Koch played Charlotte while someone else played Sophie, which confused me a bit.) It was shorter than usual and ended at 15:00.  The greatest aria was based on an ancient poem by Ossian!

That evening I was going to attend another Philosophy Dinner Meetup, but cancelled in the morning.  (I had a bit of a headache and didn't want to push it.) Instead I rented the DVD of Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine and watched it again with Father.  On second viewing, it seemed more grim than funny, not unlike Inside Llewyn Davis.

Yesterday afternoon the Columbus Community Choir did a concert for a family event that our patron Tony Fusco organized at Villa Colombo. (I missed the dress rehearsal Thursday night, something I'd normally never do, to see The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.) In addition to conducting us, Beatrice sang Bizet's "Habanera" again.

I've started deepening the ditches in our garden.  Maybe it isn't strictly necessary, but I throw the ditch soil, which tends to be topsoil, into the garden's centre to counteract the general outward movement when I'm spading, and prevent a depression in the middle.

Lately I haven't been reading the Canadian section of The Huffington Post much, but tonight I checked it and found two issues that had me posting a lot.  One was a report of Omar Khadr's family being sued by the family of the guy he's accused of killing. (I hesitate to say "convicted" what with the show trial he received.) The other was a few articles about New Democrats being unhappy with Andrea Horwath.  I fear that everyone on the left will vote Liberal to defeat Hudak, who'll win a majority anyway and will only have to deal with an overwhelmingly Liberal opposition:  the worst of both worlds.  I still haven't figured out where the St. Paul's NDP campaign headquarters will be, or even who the nominee is.


No comments: