Saturday, May 10, 2014

THE STORY OF FILM: AN ODYSSEY

The latest series we've been watching on Netflix is The Story of Film:  An Odyssey.  It's a 15-part history of the movie medium presented by Mark Cousins, who narrates with an Ulster accent.  He covers a lot of different auteurs and genres from around the world.  He offered no less than seven arguments for considering Alfred Hitchcock the greatest image-maker of the twentieth century (including Picasso!).

Thursday night I saw The Wicker Man with the Movie Meetup group at the Lightbox.  It's a 1973 thriller with Christian policeman Edward Woodward visiting a Scottish island and uncovering a pagan community led by laird Christopher Lee (as sinister as ever). Pretty creepy.

Friday night I saw the documentary Teenage at the Bloor.  It's about the emergence of adolescent culture in the first half of the twentieth century.  It ended in 1945, just as the story gets really interesting!  Someone said that childhood as we know it is a product of the nineteenth century and its mass literacy.  Well, adolescence is clearly a product of the twentieth century.  And I suppose "tweener" culture is a 21st-century phenomenon.  I liked the part about the German "swing kids" holding out against Nazi conformism.

I had to get up this morning earlier than usual for a dental appointment. (There was a sore spot between my two back molars on the upper left.) I could have got a filling right then, but I preferred to wait a couple of weeks because I wouldn't want to be recovering from the freezing during my afternoon acting class.

I ran out of things to write about so I went to the bathroom and clipped my fingernails while trying to think of a new subject.  It's time to clip my toenails too, but I'll wait till after I've finished writing this post.

I'm still short, so I read my email.  Nothing to talk about there.  So I'll just have to be short.

No comments: