Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Vicky's Day

"You fight harder than you fuck!"--300:  Rise of an Empire

Yesterday afternoon I saw the sequel 300:  Rise of an Empire at the Scotiabank.  I didn't care for the first movie, which seemed to be aimed at 13-year-old boy who wishes he were a badass.  But I've read Herodotus and was curious about how they'd show the Athenian story.  The result was pretty bizarre, and like the original best for the battle scenes. (Though the gimmick of slowing down the action at crucial moments soon gets old.) I saw it in 3D, which I still find pointless.

Yesterday Donald came over for dinner and we had Indian food, which is what Moira really wanted for her birthday.  It seemed even spicier than usual.  Today we had more of it. (Moira thinks the spicy flavor actually improves when you reheat it!)

Today was Victoria Day, so no memoir slam or choir practice. In the afternoon I went on a Walking Meetup in the Cedarvale Ravine.  Paula's dyed her hair blue, and I greeted her with "How are things on Mars?" We're good enough friends that she didn't mind.  When we passed under the Bathurst Street bridge (or was it under the Spadina Road bridge?) there was a graffito of Ralph Wiggum, the little nose-picker on The Simpsons, holding a sword dripping blood.  Some of us posed for pictures next to it, and I posed so that he seemed to be plunging it into me! 

As soon as I've finished The Last of the Mohicans, I'm going to borrow Spoon River Anthology from the library.  I found the opening poem "The Hill" online, and wrote a Scots translation of that one too.  The repeated line "All, all are sleeping on the hill" became "Aw, aw ur sleepin' oan th' brae."  I suppose I'll translate that into the other languages too.

Nancy sent us feedback about our mock auditions.  She mentioned that I didn't smile for the camera, something I've never been good at.  But I wasn't so bad overall.  I think the next time they do this I'll RSVP "no," not because I dislike auditioning but because it just isn't a priority to me.  Being a pro trying to be better than dozens of other pros does not appeal to me.

No comments: