Wednesday, May 07, 2014

THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS

Having finished the latest Lapham's Quarterly, I've started reading James Fenimore Cooper's Leatherstocking novel The Last of the Mohicans.  Saturday, between the acting class and the philosophy dinner, I went to Indigo Books in Eaton Centre and picked up a copy for just five dollars!

On a whim, I decided to try and start another book club through Meetup.  This group I  conceived as one to focus on books over thirty years old--Lonesome Dove would get in under the wire--and I named it the Classic Book Club Meetup.  I also scheduled our first event, focusing on The Last of the Mohicans, about two months from now.  It'll be at Victory Cafe on Sunday afternoons, possibly every two months. 

My last effort at book club organization didn't get far, so I didn't have huge hopes for this one.  Yet it already has sixteen members, and nine say they'll be at the first event! (We'll see how many show up, of course.) Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist might be a good choice for the second event.  We might take turns choosing books.

The choir's next concert is in three weeks.  I won't be able to make the dress rehearsal, because it's on the same night that the Event Screen is showing the National Theatre production of Dale Haddon's Asperger novel The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.  I've made it into an event for the Autism Meetup, and several people are going, including Bev.

Anyway, we'll be doing some interesting new songs in the concert.  One is the Mexican folk song "Cielito Lindo." Another one, which we started the other night, is the Russian folk song "Kalinka." It's the sort of challenging song I like learning.  I remember hearing it in the movie The Loves of Isadora, in which Isadora Duncan (Vanessa Redgrave) visited the Soviet Union and danced with them to that song.

This afternoon Father and I finally got our old refrigerator up the steps from the basement.  We still need to bring it to the curb, but that should be easier.

No comments: