Monday, May 12, 2014

The best medicine

"I  kicked open the bottom drawer of her desk, let two inches of rye trickle down my craw, kissed Birdie square on her lush, red mouth, and set fire to a cigarette"--S.J. Perelman, "Farewell, My Lovely Appetizer"

Today was the latest ROLT event.  I made the topic funny writing and called it "The Best Medicine." (I had to explain the "Laughter is the best medicine" saying to an immigrant member of the group who wondered if the topic was medical writing!) The weather is warm enough for my summer jacket, and I walked to the Victory Cafe!  I'd made a reservation for six people back on Monday, but then a lot of people RSVPed at the last minute and as many as 11 people said they'd come.  But in the end the number who actually came was exactly six.

I read "The Day the Dam Broke" from James Thurber's My Life and Hard Times; S.J. Perelman's private eye spoof "Farewell, My Lovely Appetizer"; and the chapter from Mark Twains The Innocents Abroad where he described the tourists' activities during the long ocean passage.  Jane read a couple of scenes from the Codco scripts!  Next month the topic will be foreign languages translated into English.

I've been having some vivid dreams lately. (That must be due to the new anti-depressant medication I've been taking.) The other night I dreamed of visiting a mini-cinema back in New Brunswick(?), and of airplanes landing near Cape Tormentine, the cape near the route to Prince Edward Island.  I also dreamed of being in a plane in the air while Father was walking along outside the plane, so I was holding on to him so he wouldn't fall!

At the Spadina station they now have a bulletin thing that shows when the next buses are coming.  As a result, the other day when I came home from acting class I saw that I wouldn't have to wait for the Davenport bus, so I took it home and actually saved some time!  If only I'd mention that in my last post I wouldn't have run short.  But I'm running short here too.

No comments: