Friday, May 23, 2014

THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME

"You mean they were doing sex?"--The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Last night I went to the screening of the National Theatre production of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time at the Event Screen. (I read Dale Haddon's book almost ten years ago.) It was a wonderful, imaginative adaptation.  That A-level exam question, proving that three sides of length n^2+1, n^2-1 and 2n formed a right triangle, was easy for me. (The actor came back after the curtain call to explain his proof.)

I made the play into an Aspergers Meetup event.  Bev was going to come, but she had to cancel at the last minute.  That was a pity:  I haven't seen her for months.  One other Aspie did show up, but he left during the intermission.  Really, when watching people like the kid in this play, I can't think of myself as an Aspie.  My problems seem tiny compared to theirs.

Afterward I went to Paula's Karaoke Meetup at the Monarch, not far from the Royal cinema.  I sang "Old Man River" for the first time, and "Black Velvet Band."  "Old Man River" was in a frustrating key:  when I sang it low the bottom notes were too low for me, but when I sang it an octave higher, the top notes were too high!

Today I had that dental appointment with Dr. Hrabalova.  I went to her new office northwest of St. Clair station.  She's now in a complex with a whole lot of dentists, and you can pay with a credit card.  There are several names on the door, but not hers as yet.  I got an old filling replaced, and a small new filling.  Of course, the hard part is waiting for my nerve to unfreeze afterward, which takes hours.

I've finally got started spading the garden.  I've done a whole ring on the outside, and now there's just a round area on the inside to do, along with deepening the ditches.

The Last of the Mohicans is getting exciting in the second half.  The other day I read a chapter with a canoe chase.  When they saw this unusual Indian I guessed right away that it was the psalmist!

No comments: