Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Headache!

The weather's been cool the last few days, earlier than usual.  I like such weather, except that the temperature change gave me quite a headache, which slowed down my activity.  Yesterday John and his family brought burritos for dinner, but I had to retire to bed pretty early.

Sunday afternoon was the second Classic Book Club Meetup, again at the Victory Cafe.  We discussed George Eliot's Silas Marner, and five people showed up, the exact number I'd made the reservation for.  There was also a sixth guy who'd come for a different event but ended up listening to us.  John Snow was telling how his stepmother wrote a graduate thesis on George Eliot, and he'd taught the book to students, so he knew it pretty well. (He liked that I called it "deceptively simple" in my writeup of the event. I also brought the Classics Illustrated comic from my childhood, though it's lost the centre part where Eppie crawled into his hut.  We're reading Balzac's Pere Goriot in October--John warned us not to read the Raffel translation--and Henry James' The Europeans in November.  Then we'll read a long book over the Christmas break!

Afterward I went to the supermarket in Dufferin Mall to look for Robin Hood multigrain flour, but they don't seem to have it anymore.  Oh, dear.

Yesterday a dozen people came to the memoir slam!  The subjects were the end of the world and recurring dreams.

No comments: