Monday, August 11, 2014

Somebody up There Likes Me

This afternoon was the latest ROLT Meetup.  The topic was religion, so I gave it the title "Somebody up There Likes Me." Over a dozen people said they were coming, but only five showed up.  Oh well, it's my biggest turnout in months.  I read "The Pinch-Bug and Its Prey," a chapter from Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer about a church service, as well as part of Huckleberry Finn where the hero tests the power of prayer.  And I read the chapter from the Book of Ecclesiastes with "The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong..." I would have read a bit from Silas Marner, but one of the people there is reading it for my other group and I didn't want to spoil the plot for her.

They finally billed me for the copy of The Innocents Abroad I lost in the spring, and yesterday I went to Jones Library and paid the nineteen-dollar fine.  I also contributed the copy I'd bought as its replacement.  Last night I went to the latest Karaoke Meetup at BarPlus, where I sang Elvis' "American Trilogy" for the first time.

I've got past another bottleneck in the Facebook game Tribez.  This time I needed to produce more paint, which requires coral from the atoll island.  I've raised production partly by building a third coral factory, and partly by building paint factories on every island.  So  now I have coal plants on Marble Fiord and Piedmont Lands.

Yesterday I read almost 50 pages of Love in the Time of Cholera.  So I'm less anxious about finishing in time for the book club.

No comments: