Thursday, August 21, 2014

THE TRIP TO ITALY

"She led him by the hand to the bed as if he were a blind beggar on the street, and she cut him into pieces with malicious tenderness, she added salt to taste, pepper, a clove of garlic, chopped onion, lemon juice, bay leaf, until he was seasoned and on the platter, and the oven was heated to the right temperature"--Love in the Time of Cholera

Yesterday Moira and I saw Michael Winterbottom's The Trip to Italy at the Varsity.  It's the sequel to his The Trip, with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon visiting Italian places this time.  Beforehand, we saw a string of trailers for very conventional-looking movies.

I've finally got rid of two threadbare T-shirts, at Moira's urging, and last night I got two new ones at the Target in the Stockyards.  I also went to the nearby Bulk Bin and got a load of 12-grain flour to replace the multigrain flour that I can no longer find.  Those grains include stuff like quinoa, amaranth and sunflower seeds!

At today's Chinese art class we were painting chrysanthemums. (Our teacher Qingxin says that next week we may start doing landscape stuff.) This week I was on time for a change.  I finally figured out that the "rocket" bus from Don Mills station to Scarborough Town Centre isn't a pure express:  it makes a few stops along the way, include Kennedy Avenue where I get off.

I've finished Love in the Time of Cholera.  Its sensibility was kind of cruel.

No comments: