Tuesday, August 05, 2014

THE WIRE

I'm almost over my cold.  This afternoon I went outside and started snipping the branches from two limbs Father just sawed off the crab apple tree in the front yard. (They were blocking the sunlight from our living room and stretching over the neighbour's property.) The limbs will then be a lot easier to move to the back yard.

I'm now watching The Wire on DVD for the second time.  It's a really great show, with smart characters and lots of Baltimore atmosphere.  David Simon created this show before going on to do Treme. (A couple of actors are in both shows.) I mentioned that Treme always makes me angry about the neglect of New Orleans; The Wire makes me angry about the whole War on Drugs.  I plan to see the later episodes soon, which I haven't seen before.

This afternoon I went to a new Meetup group for puzzle enthusiasts. (It was at the Starbuck's in the Yonge & Eglinton Indigo Books.) At the last minute, unfortunately, the organizer changed the time from tomorrow to today and I was the only other person who showed up.  I hope the next event goes better.

Tonight I saw an episode of Upstairs, Downstairs with a music box playing a Strauss waltz that Elizabeth said was "Tales From the Vienna Woods," but I'm pretty sure it was "Roses From the South." Elizabeth was never as smart as she thought she was...

Last night I dreamed of being in a big shopping centre in New Guinea, with signs written in pidgin.

No comments: