Monday, February 27, 2017

A cold!

The last few days I've been getting a bit of a cold. I managed to get through all the opera performances this last weekend, but I'll have to wait and see about the last one. (Two years ago I had to miss the later half of the shows!)  The next four days will be mostly rest.

Today I bought some grapefruit to help with the cold.  This was after the Sunday afternoon Merry Widow performance, which Moira saw.  If only the weather had been warmer and I'd been in better shape we could have walked home like last week!

Today we had another big family gathering to mark Donald's birthday today, and Father and Margaret's birthdays in this coming week.  We had Indian food again, and I took too much and could only finish half of what was on my plate, so we saved it so I can eat it later. (Nobody else wants it because of my germs!)

I remember a year ago when I got a cold and ate huge grapefruit while watching the miniseries Texas Rising, with Bill Paxton who just died as Sam Houston. (I also liked him in One False Move, Trespass and the polygamy TV show Big Love!)

Friday I baked some gingerbread for the opera people to sell in the lobby. (It went pretty fast.) I wrote out the recipe for Kathy, my dance partner in The Merry Widow.

Thursday I went to the Deer Park library to try to find Roddy Doyle's Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha for John Snow's book club, but it had just been taken out.  So Saturday I went to Yorkdale Mall and bought one of three copies at Indigo Books.  The Spadina subway line was being serviced so I had to take the bus north on Bathurst, west on Lawrence and north on Dufferin.  I love these urban adventures!

On The Sopranos I got an episode ahead of the others again, so I could warn them to skip the scene where Paulie murdered his mother's friend for her money stash! (But they liked the scene where the family was talking about Billy Budd.) That show had a lot of good actors even in small roles, like Sharon Angela as Carmela's widowed friend Rosalie and Alla Kliouka as the unaffected Russian Svetlana.

No comments: