Saturday, February 04, 2017

ROGUE ONE (spoiler!)

Good Guy: "You'll never win!" Bad Guy: "Now where have I heard that before?"--Rogue One


Yesterday afternoon I returned to the previous day's interview site with a void cheque (so they can put money directly into my account) and a copy of my 2015 tax return.  I had to miss the first event of a new Meetup group for people over 55, but there were almost thirty people going and I don't care for groups that big.  Besides, I'll only turn 55 this Sunday!

Last night the History Meetup discussed the United States.  Predictably, our discussion ended up being about The Donald.

This afternoon I went out to Staples near Keele & St. Clair and bought a new printer for my computer as a birthday indulgence. (First I checked out the Best Buy competition.) I'd been planning on getting a color inkjet, but on the way over I realized that I could use the downstairs computer's color printer, so I might as well get a monochrome laser printer.  It was somewhat more expensive but in the long run it'll save ink costs.  I was hoping they'd deliver it, but instead I had to tote it home.

I've started reading the original articles in the new Home issue of Lapham's Quarterly.

Tonight I finally saw Rogue One at the Carlton. Like the Star Wars series in general, it was rather shameless fun. The blind martial artist seemed to be derived from Japan's blind swordsman Zatoichi. One thing I liked about it was that... (Here comes the spoiler!)

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

...all the important characters died in the end! (Like The Hateful Eight, it reminded me of those Biddle Family childhood plays where my siblings and I would all die in different ways.) While the Star Wars movies owe a lot to serials like Flash Gordon, this one reminded me as much of a war movie.

No comments: