Friday, February 17, 2017

Dress rehearsals

"Elizabeth, your justice could freeze beer!"--The Crucible

Tuesday and Wednesday were the dress rehearsals for The Merry Widow and Carmen respectively. On Tuesday I didn't wait for a mirror but put on most of my makeup by feel! (Kathy says I did an OK job.)

Tonight I looked at the video of Nicholas Hytner's movie of The Crucible, Arthur Miller's play about the Salem witch trials.  It was pretty good, though I got sleepy in the middle part.

Last night I dreamed of being in a Heart of Darkness type adventure, except that instead of a man the target was a woman in military uniform, and the team out to get her included a teenage boy. Then I dreamed of a non-existent tall building west of Keele & St. Clair that exploded into a big fireball. (That must be from hearing about the tennis club fire near Yonge & St. Clair.)

Because of that fire, Scallywag's is closed for now, so I'll have to move the History Meetup location elsewhere, presumably to the Ryerson Hub where I've moved my other Meetups.

I've been contributing to a lively discussion at the Salon website about an interview with Susan Sarandon and her being blamed for not supporting Hillary Clinton.  Something that bugs me is that when I say that Bernie Sanders would have had a better chance at beating Trump, Clintonites respond with a circular argument: "We Democrats didn't vote for Bernie, therefore Bernie wasn't electable, therefore not voting for Bernie wasn't a mistake!"  I posted that Democrats who voted to nominate Clinton were "dumb as styrofoam"!

No comments: