Friday, October 13, 2017

No Twitter for me today

"That [injured] thumb became symbol of Dean's final development.  He no longer cared about anything (as before) but now he also cared about everything in principle; that is to say, it was all the same to him and he belonged to the world and there was nothing he could do about it"--On the Road

Patty (to her teenage son's cougar girlfriend): "You'll hurt him, and I'll come to you and rip your face off!"--Damages

German strategy: "We'll pretend to retreat on all fronts..."--Europa Europa

Some feminists had a boycott of Twitter today in response to Rose McGowan being suspended for accusing Ben Affleck of lying about Harvey Weinstein.  So I stayed off Twitter today in support of them. (Or maybe it was to show I could go without Twitter for a day.)

Wednesday afternoon I went to the Lillian Smith library to borrow a book of Robert Burns' poetry because I want to read "Tam O'Shanter" at Sunday's Reading Out Loud Meetup.  I borrowed the book, turned to the pages with the poem on the way home, and someone had torn them out! (Selfish...) Today I got another Burns book at the Maria Shchuka library.

Wednesday Moira was using the Metropass, so I used TTC tokens. But the Spadina streetcar's token-accepting machine wasn't working, and at the Spadina station that day the fare inspectors were active! Fortunately, they accepted my excuse.

Thursday night I watched Agnieszka Holland's Europa Europa for the third time, screening the DVD at Debi's place. (Poor Debi has bronchitis!) That's the one about a teenage Jewish boy whose family flees Germany for Poland, then the Nazis invade Poland and he flees east to Soviet territory and a communist orphanage, then the Nazis invade Russia and he gets adopted by an unsuspecting German regiment and sent to a Nazi military school...  Great story, wonderful movie.

The one thing I don't like about Damages is VLA's theme song "When I am Through With You." (The same producers' Bloodline did better with Book of Fear's "The Water Lets You In.")

No comments: