Sunday, October 08, 2017

Refining Twitter

"Isn't it true that you start your life a sweet child believing in everything under your father's roof?  Then comes the day of the Laodiceans, when you know you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked, and with the visage of a gruesome grieving ghost you go shuddering through nightmare life"--On the Road

"You know, we should be thankful that we live in the United States." "That's what people in Poland say!"--Laugh-In

Thursday night was the History Meetup, where we discussed World War II.  One of the people there was a German woman whose father had been drafted at fourteen or so, and whose grandfather spent years as a Soviet POW.  Another was a Chinese guy whose father rose from a peasant to a colonel in China's Red Army.  Two or three people got into long exchanges.

This afternoon I saw a couple more episodes of Laugh-In with Dawna.  Mother hated the show, and I guess she had good taste.  It was full of lines like "That's as funny as a bumblebee in a nudist camp!"

I've been refining my list of Tweeters I'm following. (Opening the page with the whole list takes quite a while, so I got a system of putting my glasses case on the command key and my wallet on the down-arrow key so it'll download without me pushing the keys again and again.) I've been removing Tweeters who use a foreign language, those whose profiles say "We don't own any of the content posted," and those with Trump in their name or profile picture.

Last night I was reckless enough to do a "neverbernie" search of tweets and reply to some of them. (Clintonites on Twitter are insane--a couple even called Sanders a "grifter"!) A few Tweeters have blocked me, and I'll just have to assume that they have no answer for my brilliant comments.

No comments: