Saturday, October 21, 2017

Relocating

"Laredo was a sinister town that morning. All kinds of cab-drivers and border rats wandered around, looking for opportunities. There weren't many; it was too late.  It was the bottom and dregs of America where all the heavy villains sink, where disoriented people have to go to be near a specific elsewhere they can slip into unnoticed. Contraband brooded in the heavy syrup air... Just beyond you could feel the enormous presence of whole great Mexico and almost smell the billion tortillas frying and smoking in the night...  Just across the street Mexico began.  We looked with wonder.  To our amazement, it looked exactly like Mexico"--On the Road

Joan Blondell (seeing Claire Dodd's backside): "There's a familiar sight!"--Footlight Parade

I've changed the location for my Meetups.  Some people complained that the Robarts Library was too confusing for them to find me. (I put directions up the steps to the second floor on the webpage, but a lot of people evidently ignored them.) So now we'll meet at Scallywag's Restaurant, which has a huge space on the top floor.

Today I saw Lloyd Bacon's Warner Brothers Footlight Parade again at the Robarts Library theatre with the Movie Meetup group. (I was about ten minutes late, because I'd convinced myself it was at the Reference Library!) It's nice to see James Cagney in a role using his hoofer talents, and Joan Blondell's one of my favorite '30s leading ladies.  Lots of great pre-Production Code dialogue.

The library book with the poem "Tam O'Shanter" has a whole glossary of Scots words in Robert Burns' poems.  I'm going to write them all down for translating poems into Scots. (Father told me the other day that Mother's father kept a book of Burns poems at his bedside, along with the Bible and a bottle of whiskey.  I'd never heard that before!)

Hope I get over this cold soon!

No comments: