Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Autism awareness month

Vittorio Gassman: "Does he still think you're a dancer?" Rachel Ward: "I am a dancer!" Burt Reynolds (listening in on a wiretap): "She is a dancer!"--Sharky's Machine

Saturday I watched the Davey & Goliath Easter special on Youtube, which I recall seeing in my childhood.  That's the one where Davey loses his beloved grandmother, and for a children's TV show it's unusually honest about grief. (But is it cruel to tell children stories of resurrection?)

Sunday I watched Burt Reynolds' Sharky's Machine through the miracle of streaming.  That's the one where he's a drug cop who gets busted down to vice and uncovers government corruption and carries out 24-hour surveillance on a call girl... (The scene where he gets a couple of fingers chopped off isn't for the squeamish!) It was a bit conventional, but there's a good cast:  Bernie Casey has some bright moments as a Zen cop, and Rachel Ward was gorgeous! (She may still be, for all I know.)

Yesterday I watched Ronald Neame's movie of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie on Youtube.  Inevitably, it's somewhat simpler than the novel.

April is Autism awareness month, so today I went to a rally at Nathan Phillips Square with some Aspies who are against ABA treatment (something I know nothing about). I held up a poster saying, "Non-compliance is a social skill." That's one way to look at it...

On the way home, I stopped at Shopper's Drug Mart and spent a fortune on half-priced post-Easter chocolate.  I think my favorite is the chocolate with crispy stuff mixed in!

No comments: