Thursday, April 19, 2018

Music clips

Time for some more music clips!

George Handel, "Zadok the Priest" from Coronation Anthem #1.  The best thing to come out of the British monarchy is the music!  This clip not only shows the words but some nice classic art.

Ludwig Van Beethoven, Florestan's Aria, Fidelio.  One of my favorite parts from Beethoven's only opera (which my group was doing last month).

Jacques Offenbach, "Valse Lente." This is one of his orchestral pieces that was adapted for the ballet "Gaite Parisienne."

Theodore Dubois, "Second Word," The Seven Last Words of Christ.  When I was in the Italian choir Coro Verdi we'd do Dubois' oratorio every Easter.  My favorite part is "Second Word," in which Jesus promises heaven to the thief dying with him.  I actually prefer it with piano accompaniment!

Richard Rodgers, Waltz from Carousel.  This is really brilliant opening music!  I like the way it conveys that pain is part of love.

Johnny Horton, "Ole Slew Foot." He did a country version of this song, but I prefer the rockabilly version! (I first heard it introducing a Bear Family Records DVD.)

Paddy Reilly, "The Mountains of Morne." Nice Percy French song, nicely arranged and sung.

Joe Jackson, "Steppin' Out," Night and Day.  I loved this whole album when I was twenty, and these lyrics really got to me: "We are young but getting old before our time/We'll leave the TV and the radio behind..."

Tracey Ullman, "They Don't Know." She shows her immense comic talents in the video for her version of Kirsty McColl's song. (I wish there were more three-wheeled cars like that one!)

Elvis Costello, "This Town." His ridiculing of Donald Trump seems prophetic now. (Though I can do without the "knee in the junk" cliche...)

No comments: