Sunday, April 22, 2018

Editing work

I've been busy editing Miriam's memoir. (We met and discussed it on Friday afternoon.) I finished the final edit today, and we'll be talking more about it on Tuesday.
I think I'm a natural editor. When I look at that episode of Get Fuzzy, I automatically imagine how I'd edit Bucky's script:  
Mike enters room.  Mike: "Who took my food?  Whoever it is, I'll kill him!  Kill him!"

I was so busy with the editing (or just careless) that I forgot to renew the library book about Iran's history, and now I owe the Toronto Public Library $1.40. (I would have renewed it Monday at the Lillian Smith library, but the memoir group was cancelled.)

I've just got to the exciting part, about Ayatollah Khomeini.  Who was this guy--he seemed to come out of nowhere!  Back at the time The Economist (a British magazine that raises tendentiousness to an art form!) wondered if he was Iran's Savonarola, but he turned out to be more like Lenin.  People like that are scary:  they can wait till their time comes, then they're the ones with the vision--not the nice vision or even the smart vision, but the clear vision!--and the ruthless decisiveness and organizational smarts to realize it.  

(My, my, I used three exclamation marks in that paragraph!  Still the born editor...)

Yesterday I went on the delayed art walk. (Lucky the warm weather is back this time!) It started at the Artscape place on Shaw Street, which is in a nice 1914 ex-school buildings with transoms.  I've always liked transoms--I remember the Warner Brothers cartoon where Yosemite Sam is courting Granny and she ends up firing a rifle at him through a transom at the top of her door--if I remember it right. 

Afterward I went to the Singing Meetup, where we were learning Abba's "Fernando" and I had to leave a bit early.  I also stopped at the beguiling and bought a "graphic novel" history of the Klondike gold rush--like I'm not already behind in my reading...

No comments: