Thursday, November 01, 2012

Betty Anne's art walk

Another of my Meetup groups is Betty Anne Jordan's Queen Street art walk.  On the first Thursday evening of the month we meet somewhere on Queen Street West and she gives us a guided tour of a few art galleries and boutiques.  She tends to get pretty big crowds.

Today we started at the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art (a place we visit frequently), where several finalists in the competition for the annual Sobey Prize had their work on display.  One had created what looked like a barrow for a travelling artist.  Another had a leaning ten-foot pile of record albums (I noticed a Lawrence Welk).

Then we went several blocks off Queen Street to see the Museum of New.  Lumir Hladik talked about his exhibit of symbiotic baroque and arboreal gothic. (He achieved the latter by cutting and burning holes in canvas to create hollows for sketched lines and wolf hair.) We also met the director Joseph Rappell.

After that we went to Bluebird, a boutique selling objets d'art from around the world.  Then we retired to a restaurant called Harlem Underground.  Queen Street West is dense with interesting little places I know nothing about.

Betty Anne is pretty friendly.  She often gives me a hug and always seems to be interested in what I say.  She says she likes to know how I think, so I hope she reads this.

No comments: