Saturday, November 17, 2012

THE ELIXIR OF LOVE

Today I saw another Met opera at the Sheppard Grande:  Donizetti's famous comic opera THE ELIXIR OF LOVE. (Moira saw it too, but at the Scotiabank, a cinema I can't stand:  the lobby reminds me of a Hieronymus Bosch-style nightmare.) It's one of the operas I've done with the TOR chorus, so I know it fairly well.

It's the one about the bumpkin peasant Nemorino who's hopelessly in love with Adina, a shameless tease who treats him badly (sort of like Archie and Veronica).  When the soldier Belcore courts Adina, Nemorino gets desperate and buys a love potion from travelling mountebank Dulcamara, which tastes suspiciously like cheap wine.  But just when he drinks a second bottle, the local girls find out (before he does) that he's inherited a fortune, and give him the sort of attention that makes him think the elixir is working...

This was a zippy, well-directed production that didn't seem long.  I liked details like the tall grass set decoration.  My favorite aria is "Una Furtiva Lagrima," which I've started learning in my desultory singing lessons.

Coincidentally, in the evening I started looking at our zip.ca DVD with highlights from LIVE FROM THE MET. (I think I saw it years ago.)

No comments: