Friday, November 09, 2012

JURASSIC PARK

Today I saw Steven Spielberg's 1993 blockbuster JURASSIC PARK at the Yonge & Dundas cinema's Event Screen. (They've been showing classic movies in that theatre.) Believe it or not, I'd never seen that movie before.  I've actually seen few of Spielberg's post-SAVING PRIVATE RYAN movies:  just CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and TINTIN.

What did I think of the movie?  Meh.  Spielberg knows how to deliver thrills, and it had some witty moments, but there was something not so important about the whole thing. (I felt the same way about the Indiana Jones series.) The "don't mess with nature" theme felt very familiar.

The cast did include Laura Dern, who's a bit like my brother John's girlfriend Kathrine.  I've liked her since she played Sandy in BLUE VELVET, with her speech about the robins coming down. I also liked the scene where she was slow-dancing with Kyle Maclachlan and a shot with him on the left and her on the right faded smoothly into one with her on the left and him on the right--or was it the reverse order?--suggesting the two of them becoming one. (The role had originally been offered to Molly Ringwald, but Ringwald's mother read the script before she did and gave her daughter's agent an earful about the garbage he was sending them.)

BTW, we ate Chinese food today and my fortune cookie said, "Other people appreciate your expressiveness." Does that mean there are people who like reading this blog?

No comments: