Thursday, November 15, 2012

Lunch with Pui-tak

Yesterday our friend Pui-tak invited Moira and Me to lunch in Chinatown.  We've known Pui for about twenty years, since Moira started teaching her English.  She was born on the Chinese mainland before moving to Hong Kong, then to Toronto.  She's worked as both a seamstress and a chambermaid.

We had lunch at a dim sum restaurant near Spadina Avenue. (She and her husband live in the Village by the Grange apartment complex northwest of the Osgoode station.) I'm afraid the food was on the oily side and disagreed with me, part of the reason I had to leave opera rehearsal early last night.

Some years back Pui gave us a clay jar of Guilin sauce, which went very well with things like fried chicken.  I was talking about it at lunch, and afterward she took us to a Chinese grocery store where we found a sauce that looked pretty similar. (Of course, the eating will show how close it is.)

My post's a bit short today.  That's what happens when I start writing about my friends.  Should I let it stay on the short side, or should I think of something new to say to extend it to the usual length?  Or should I just ramble on and on and on to make it just long enough?  Well, what do you know?  It just took a bit of extra rambling to make it as long as I wanted... (I can only do this once, of course.)

No comments: