Sunday, November 25, 2012

Fundraising

Today was the TOR fundraiser.  I baked gingerbread for it Friday night, and I hope nobody noticed that I put too much salt in. (The recipe requires half a teaspoon, and I added half a tablespoon!) Actually, I just brought two-thirds of what I baked and kept the rest for the family.

The chorus doesn't have a huge function at these fundraisers.  We performed in three of the numbers, while the rest were all soloists. One of the numbers we did was the famous Barcarolle from TALES OF HOFFMANN, which I've sung so often at Coro Verdi that I don't need to look at the score! (It helps that there are no words to learn, like the Humming Chorus in Puccini's MADAMA BUTTERFLY.) We also accompanied the septet from the Giulietta story in TALES OF HOFFMANN, and the second-act finale in BARBER OF SEVILLE.

Of course, there were eats afterward. (Some people, I'm told, come to these fundraisers just for the food.) We always bring more cookies and such than we need, so those who stay to the end get to take home a good share of the leftovers!  I got a wide variety, including a bit of my gingerbread.

When I briefly went outside tonight, I saw snow for the first time since last winter. (It was only noticeable on the parked cars; the snow on the street had melted.) I miss the big snows we used to experience in New Brunswick.  Another thing I miss about New Brunswick is getting up in September or October, looking out the window and seeing our lawn grey with the first frost since spring.

No comments: