Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Measure of the man

Last week at the TOR the chorus finally started learning our BARBER OF SEVILLE part.  It's pretty small compared to TALES OF HOFFMANN.  Speaking of the latter, the other week I saw a zip.ca DVD of a Lyons production of HOFFMANN, with Nathalie Dessay as Olympia.  It was an odd version, with the chorus kept backstage and numbers like the drinking song and "Scintille, Diamant" removed.

This week we got measured for our costumes.  Costume rental is our biggest single expense, even with the generous discount Malabar gives us.  This year they finally had a scale so I didn't have to guess my weight. (I'm never sure of it.)

I had to leave rehearsal early again today, because I'd got one of the severe headaches I occasionally suffer from.  But I made sure to get my measurements first.  I think my headache was caused by the sharp drop in temperature today. (I'm often sensitive to quick rises or falls in the temperature.)

A week from Sunday will be the TOR's annual fundraiser at Columbus Centre.  What makes it especially fun is that the members bring a wide range of snacks for them and the audience to eat. (One donor has said she comes for the food.) Every year I bake some of my world-famous gingerbread for the big occasion.  And there's often some good leftovers to take home.

No comments: