Thursday, November 08, 2012

I'm an Aspie

I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome about ten years ago.  I've heard a lot of talk about the full range of the spectrum of autism, but I'm not sure about it:  compared to the low-functioning autistics, I don't feel like I have any important problems.  But it's usually fun to be given a new category you can fit into.

To tell the truth, I'm not completely sure I'm a real Aspie.  My sister Moira tells me she's met genuine Aspies, and I'm not like them.  I trust her, but I also trust my psychiatrist.

I've been unemployed since finishing university, and I still live with my parents.  I hope to get Ontario Disability Support Payments someday, but first I'll have to transfer certain bank deposits into Moira's name. (It's mostly my parents' money anyway.) That's a complicated business.

For a while I participated in an organization designed to get employment for Aspies, but it wasn't right for me.  I found them to be micro-managers, better suited to lower-functioning Aspies.  What I really needed was guidance about how to look for employment, but that wasn't their strong suit. (I'm not intimidated by the interview process like some Aspies are, but I do feel intimidated by the job-search process.) One thing they did do for me was find me a temporary position as a file clerk at the Toronto library's Human Resources branch--I did quite well in it--but it only lasted six months.

No comments: