Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Odds & ends

Today I got my hair cut.  I do that every three months at a small barber shop on the other side of St. Clair Avenue.  A Hungarian woman does a pretty good job for fifteen dollars. (She even trims my eyebrows!) This time I just got a small trim because the opera's coming up in February and Giuseppe says we should maximize our "plumage." I sometimes read THE TORONTO SUN while I'm waiting--the only time I ever read that newspaper--but this time the place was empty and I didn't have to wait at all!

Today I also saw the DVD of the Steve Martin comedy L.A. STORY, some twenty years after seeing it in a theatre.  (I saw it again because I'm interested in Richard E. Grant, who has a supporting role.)  It has some pretty good lines:

"I'm doing thirty-minute lipstick..."

"I don't think we should make love, OK?" "All right, we'll just have sex."

On Sarah Jessica Parker (who plays an aspiring spokesmodel): "She isn't so young.  She'll be twenty-eight in four years."

I sometimes have unusual dreams.  I went to bed early this evening because I had a headache, and dreamed of a non-existent episode of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW about a station manager involved in drug smuggling, with an appearance by Eb (who was actually on GREEN ACRES!) The other night I dreamed about Julia Roberts being in the boxing ring with a midget, wearing a turtle-shell helmet like Bamm-Bamm on THE FLINTSTONES.

No comments: