Monday, March 25, 2013

Classical Social Meetup

This evening I went to a new group called Classical Social Meetup, another Meetup devoted to classical music.  People get together at Fionn McCool's on Adelaide Street and watch a loose group of musicians play chamber music in a relaxed setting.  You haven't lived till you've heard Danny Elfmans THE SIMPSONS theme arranged for cello!  They also played Beethoven's Egmont Overture, which I've always liked.  There was a wide range of instruments, including flute, bassoon and French horn.  I met Cecilia from the Classic Movies Meetup there. (I often seem to meet the same person at different Meetups.)

Moira borrowed a BBC documentary series from the libraries titled A HISTORY OF CHRISTIANITY, narrated by academic Diarmaid McCulloch.  I find these historical documentaries fascinating.  I liked his comparing Papal indulgences to selling lottery tickets.

Father and I did more work on the accounts from the book business.  We're almost finished, but now we need to find the December receipts!

The Non-Fiction Book Club Meetup is doing READING LOLITA IN TEHERAN in May.  That sounds worth reading. (This Wednesday they're discussing FILTHY LUCRE:  ECONOMICS FOR PEOPLE WHO HATE CAPITALISM.  I'm tempted to go even though I haven't got around to reading the book!)

No comments: