Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Learning Portuguese

Today I bought some books to learn Portuguese.  First I went to this Portuguese bookstore near St. Clair & Lansdowne.  They had a lot of religious stuff there. (I keep Catholicism at arm's length, but I do have a soft spot for stories about a saint's life.) I got a visual dictionary for children showing the word for things in Portuguese, English, French, German and Spanish.  I also got a children's picture book of folktales.  They were fairly pricey:  a fool and his money are soon parted.

This evening I went to Indigo Books near Bay station and got two more books:  one each from the Teach Yourself and _____ for Dummies series. (I also got the magazine CANADA'S HISTORY, which I still think of by its old name THE BEAVER.)

Afterward I went to the Fox and Fiddle near St. George station and did karaoke with a combination of the Fun Lovers Meetup and the INTJ Meetup.  The latter refers to people who register as introverted, intuitive, thoughtful and judgmental on the Meyers-Briggs personality test.  I think I'm more ISTJ--sensory rather than intuitive--but I may be on the cusp.

At karaoke I sang the Thompson Twins' "Hold Me Now" and Gordon Lightfoot's "Canadian Railroad Trilogy." They have an excellent playlist there, including over a dozen Gordon Lightfoot songs!

No comments: