Sunday, March 10, 2013

Three Meetups

This afternoon I hosted the March ROLT Meetup, whose subject was "lives lived." Seven people showed up.  One was a Pakistani-Canadian called Gula, who recited an entertaining autobiographical sketch she'd written. (She'd just come from an Indian wedding and was dressed fancy.)

For my part, I read a section of Tobias Wolff's memoir THIS BOY'S LIFE where he went joy riding in his stepfather's car.  Then I read "Grown Up," a chapter in BY THE SHORES OF SILVER LAKE, one of Laura Ingalls Wilder's wonderful "Little House" series (the books are way, way better than the TV show), in which their dog dies.

In the evening I went to an Awesome People Meetup for "awesome conversations." A dozen people came, but I had to leave fairly early because the location (a pub called the Pauper) was too noisy for me.

Then I went to the Karaoke Meetup at Kramer's Bar and Grill.  A karaoke bar is cheaper than BarPlus, but you often have to wait a long time between song terms.  I sang Dean Martin's "Sway," which doesn't seem to be on the BarPlus song list, and intended to sing the Thompson Twins' "Hold Me Now" too, but the wait proved too long. (At these places I step outside from time to time just to get a break from the noise.)

No comments: