Thursday, March 28, 2013

FILTHY LUCRE

This evening I went to the Non-Fiction Book Club Meetup, which now has a room inside the Reference Library.  We discussed Joseph Heath's FILTHY LUCRE:  ECONOMICS FOR PEOPLE WHO HATE CAPITALISM. (There were about 25 of us, and we divided into two groups to discuss it.) I hadn't got around to reading the book, but came anyway.

In this book Heath starts by debunk six right-wing economic myths, then goes on to debunk six left-wing economic myths. (But he doesn't debunk any centrist economic myths.) It sounded a bit glib to me, and I suspect it's full of straw men.

On the way there I started reading TEACH YOURSELF ESSENTIAL PORTUGUESE GRAMMAR.  One word I like is "bonitinha," which means "cutie."

In the afternoon I saw the last episode of Diarmid McCulloch's documentary on the history of Christianity, dealing with the religion in today's modern world.  He mentioned a pro-Nazi German church in the 1930s that insisted Jesus couldn't have been Jewish! (Was He Japanese?) It's rather ironic that the Pope launched an ongoing attack on "modernism" a century ago.  Someone defined modernism as the ability to hold two opposite thoughts in your head at the same time, and from what I've seen that's something that Catholics have a talent for.

No comments: