Friday, March 22, 2013

The master class concert

This evening we put on our master class concert at the Bickford Center.  There were a dozen of us, singing 21 songs.  Five were by Bellini, and there was also stuff like "Sorry Her Lot Who Loves Too Well" from Gilbert & Sullivan's HMS PINAFORE and the Spanish song "Granada." The singers included TOR soloists Carrie and Tami. (Too bad William and Olivia couldn't make it.)

Of course, I sang "Il Balen di Suo Soriso" from Verdi's IL TROVATORE and "Wohin?" from Schubert's DIE SCHOENE MUELLERIN song cycle.  I think I went over pretty well:  one audience member said I'd surprised her.

When the concert was over, they had a tribute for Giuseppe on his retirement from the TOR, and they gave him a plant for his garden!

They've announced the TOR operas for next year:  Bizet's CARMEN and Mozart's COSI FAN TUTTE. (I really like the trio "Soave Sia Il Vento" in the latter opera.) I was in the chorus when the TOR did CARMEN five years ago, but I don't feel a big desire to do it again:  I'll probably skip next season.  Beatrice will be directing both shows.

I may be resuming my singing lessons with Giuseppe pretty soon.

No comments: