Tuesday, June 13, 2017

CANADIAN HISTORY FOR DUMMIES

"'Oh, here's a Cicero!' said Candide. 'Surely you never tire of reading that great man!'

"'I never read him,' replied the Venetian. 'What does it matter to me that he pleaded for Rabirius and Cluentius?  I have enough cases of my own to judge.  His philosophical works would have suited me better, but when I saw that he doubted everything, I concluded that I knew as much as he did, and that I didn't need anyone's help to be ignorant.'"

Saturday I finished Candide and started reading Canadian History for Dummies, which I found at the Oakwood Village library. (I keep forgetting that it's south of Rogers Road rather than north!)

Written by Will Ferguson, Canadian History for Dummies is a good read with lots of humor.  I especially like that he doesn't neglect my home region of Acadia!  I'm now getting close to the fall of Quebec in 1759.

Saturday I planted the peas and beans and carrots and parsnips. There's still space for the head crops, which I'll transplant once I get a bit less lazy.  I hope we can fit the onions into the space where Moira had an herb garden last year.  Father found the hose in the basement and now I can water it.

The fourth chapter of Teach Yourself Korean is about shopping for groceries, and I've learned "sagwa joosu" and "chohkoh ooyoo," which mean apple juice and chocolate milk. I've had some trouble writing out "won," their currency unit--like Chinese "yuan" and Japanese "yen"--which is written like this (원), because I thought it was written like this (온ㅓ). I've been noticing a lot of grammatical features that have parallels in the Japanese language.

1 comment:

John said...

Does Will Ferguson neglect or disparage the Canadian prairies?