Monday, June 26, 2017

Cookie exchange

"The newspaper-canvassers were a type I had never met before.  Their job seemed to me so hopeless, so appalling that I wondered how anyone could put up with such a thing when prison was a possible alternative"--The Road to Wigan Pier

Seeing the result of a Warsaw air raid: "Those German bastards--my God, Byron, look!"--The Winds of War (Whose side are you on?)

Saturday night I baked another batch of gingerbread and raised the temperature another 25 degrees, but there was still a soft part in the middle.  Between the two batches, however, there was enough to bring to the cookie exchange. (And Moira likes the soft gingerbread anyway!)

The cookie exchange was a Baking Meetup event at High Park.  There was a big variety of cakes and cookies.  The people included a couple of Japanese girls, one of whom had fancy striped shoes she got in Japan. Assantewa showed up after I'd mentioned it to her mother. (She didn't have time to bake anything, but she's really into cookies!)

I've started reading George Orwell's The Road to Wigan Pier, so on my way to the cookie exchange I read about a shop selling unappetizing tripe!

In The Winds of War there's a scene where Robert Mitchum comes back from being an observer on a bombing raid, and the young Englishwoman who adores him says, "It must have been hard!" and he replies, "It was long." That's the kind of line only Mitchum could deliver!

1 comment:

John said...

send baking samples! :-)