Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Learning Korean

My Korean lessons continue apace. (The Teach Yourself language books are brilliant, for those who'd rather learn through books.)  The first lesson was about polite language and nationality, the second family relations, the third time and weather, the fourth shopping for food, the fifth ordering food in a restaurant. (The sixth will be about locations.)

I just learned that the Korean word for "rice with mixed vegetables" is "bibimbap" (비빔밥), which I find a nifty word!  I also learned about "Please be seated" and "This pork belly is too salty" and "Shall we cook it again?"

Sunday afternoon was the Reading Out Loud Meetup.  I read my translation of stanzas 19 to 41 of the first canto of The Lusiades, along with my translation of Pessoa's Alberto Caeiro poem, the part of Candide about the Lisbon earthquake and Pangloss going to the auto-da-fe, and the first pages of Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. (I'd been meaning to read that here for a while, and finally got around to it.) Suzanne was really impressed by my Lusiades translation.

I just learned in Canadian History for Dummies that Amherst, Nova Scotia, near my hometown of Sackville, had a general strike a few months before the Winnipeg General Strike of 1919!

John and his family came over for lunch today, and I ate a vegetarian hamburger for the first time. (How good was it?  A burger is a burger...)

I'm still translating The Wizard of Oz into Portuguese.  I just got to the chapter where they find out the truth about the Wizard.

No comments: