Sunday, June 18, 2017

MONTEREY POP


This afternoon I tried to find a Classic TV Meetup in the Regent Park area, but I went to the wrong building entrance.  Too bad, Dawna the organizer was posting about the '50s TV series The Adventures of Superman and I printed out the photo above.  It's of Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh, but don't they look like Clark and Lois on that show?  I also wanted to mention the bit in This Boy's Life where Leo di Caprio was watching the show with his teenage friends, and someone made a dirty suggestion that made them all laugh. Narrator Leo: "That broke the tension, and we settled back to watch dorky adventures..." Sure hope I can find them next time!

Yesterday I went to Sobey's to get their Friday afternoon fish & chips special, but they're no longer selling it there! Fortunately, Loblaw's now has a similar special.

This evening I went to see Monterey Pop yet again, in a 50th anniversary release, at the Bloor. Directed by D.A. Pennebaker, it's one of my favorite rock concert movies!  I like the moment during Janis Joplin's show-stopping "Ball and Chain" when we see Cass Elliott in the audience, clearly impressed! (Several performers would die much too young.) My favorite part of all is Ravi Shankar's long sitar number at the end.

1 comment:

John said...

Fascinating as always, and a sharp focus on the narrator.