Monday, June 05, 2017

SCORE

Saturday I joined Miriam at the Karelia Kitchen for a Vintage Clothing Meetup. (I had a cheesecake with pistachio crust.) We visited some boutiques, and ended up at the Dundas West street festival.  I'd just finished Cold Comfort Farm, and lent her my copy.

Yesterday Moira joined me at the ESL Meetup at the Midtown Hub, and quite enjoyed it.  We were helping immigrants with English idioms, and some of them were pretty tough. (With "Add insult to injury," I ended up saying, "That one isn't important, you don't have to know it"!) Some of the immigrants were Korean, and were impressed that I could say "Annyong haseyo" (hello). We walked there and back along St. Clair Avenue.

Last night I saw Score at the Bloor HotDocs. (I renewed my silver membership.) It's a documentary about movie composers, something like Visions of Light did with cinematographers back in the '90s.  I wish they'd spent a bit more time on classic composers like Maurice Jarre and Miklos Rosza--I'm never satisfied, am I?

With Cold Comfort Farm finished, I started reading the short book Xenophobe's Guide to the Canadians, one of the books I bought in London.

I've been trying to subscribe to Netflix, but they won't accept my credit card and when I try to pay through Paypal I get a message that the payment system is down. "Please try again later."

No comments: